Friday, February 13, 2009

Turkish style lamb shoulder chops

Given the fact that Oleana is probably the best restaurant in Boston and its suppliers are right in my neighborhood, I really should cook a lot more recipes from the Oleana cookbook. The few times I have used it, I've really liked the dishes that came out, and it's not like I can't get the ingredients or anything. Here's another dish to add to the list. I'll just say that the dish tastes much, much better than it looks. The natural sugars in the marinade got a little charred in the grillpan, but the flavors were all there. I can't wait to try this out on a real grill in the summer. This marinade would be awesome for lamb kabobs.
Here's the recipe:
  • 2 T red pepper paste (I just threw a piece of grilled, jarred red peppers in the food processor)
  • 2 T Aleppo chiles (I didn't have these in my pantry, so I used Urfa chiles)
  • 1/4 c tomato paste
  • 1/2 c canola oil
  • 1 T chopped garlic
  • 1 T Turkish Baharat spice mix.
For the spice mix, combine 1 T each cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin, and corriander, 2T each dried mint, dread oregano, and ground black pepper, 1 t each ground fennel, allspice, cloves, and mustard seeds, and four ground up bay leaves. Remember to toast all your spices before using them to get the most flavor out of them.

Mix together all the above ingredients and marinate the lamb overnight. Wipe of the excess marinade, cook on the grill, and serve with whatever you like. I made couscous with diced red and green bell peppers, onions, garlic, and olives and a side of green beans with red pepper flakes, garlic and sea salt.

No comments: