Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Florence: Trattoria Marrione

Florence has a ton of good restaurants. At least, that's the impression I got while sifting through various online sources. We were in the mood for something simple and inexpensive, so we opted for Trattoria Marrione. I really don't have too much to say about this place. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. It was more or less what we were looking for, a simple meal that tasted more like home cooking than restaurant food. Perhaps that's why this restaurant gets a fair amount of local business even though its located so close to all of the tourist attractions.
We started with a caprese salad, which Abby followed up with yet another salad. This one, a panzanella. This panzanella was quite a bit different from the version I make. They use bread crumbs rather than chunks of bread and I like to cut the vegetables into a smaller dice.
I had roasted lamb and potatoes. It was good, but I'll bet it would have been twice as good if it had been the middle of the fall or winter. It's one of those warm, savory dishes that is best enjoyed on a brisk November night rather than a humid August evening.

No comments: