Thursday, October 18, 2007

Roasted leg of lamb

Abby and I were shopping at the Market Basket the other day and I decided to pick up a leg of lamb. I hadn't had lamb in a while, and that's about as much excuse as I needed. The thing with this cut, though, is that even the smallest one I could find was way too much for two people, so rather than deal with leftovers, we had Wei Shun, Lauren, and Michael over for dinner.

I prepared the lamb by rolling it out, smothering it with a paste of garlic, olive oil, rosemary, thyme, mustard, salt, and pepper, and trussing it back up again. The lamb was served on top of melted leeks and flageolet beans (these are hard to find, but Christina's spices, right down the street, has all sorts of rare ingredients) in lamb jus. The thing about the beans is that they were dried, and they probably should have soaked for a lot longer. They tasted fine, but the texture was off.

No comments: