Monday, May 19, 2008

Casa Mono

Abby and I saw Avenue Q last night - which was absolutely hilarious - and stopped by Casa Mono by Union Square for a quick meal beforehand. I went here for the first time with Heb and Joe last summer and loved it. The second time back didn't disappoint. I've been to a few tapas places in the U.S. (maybe 10 to 15), and this one is by far the best. The space is really cozy, which can make it hard to get a table at times. We got there a little after 5:30, so their were plenty of empty seats when we arrived. We grabbed a couple seats at the bar, so we were able to see the chefs putting everything together right in front of us. If you are going here with just two or three, this is the way to go. It's really fun to watch them work.
We ordered four different tapas and enjoyed every one: fried pimientos,
foie gras on a crouton with five preparations/variaties of onions,
pork belly with spring onions (we were so excited to dig in, I forgot to take a picture of that), and sweetbreads with baby fennel and an almond vinaigrette. I had only had sweet breads once before, at Jaleo (another one of my favorite Tapas places), and wasn't a huge fan. They were stewed and had a sort of mealy texture to them. These sweetbreads, though, were really, really good. They reminded me of big fried oysters.

No comments: