Monday, September 15, 2008

Back in Washington, so I must be cooking salmon

After our big wedding in Chicago, Abby, her parents, her younger brother Matt, and I all went out to Poulsbo for a more subdued reception at my parents house. I wanted to make the main course and wanted to do some classic Pacific Northwest food, so, of course, I cooked a whole bunch of salmon. 90+ pounds worth, to be exact. One of my favorite things about all of this was that we didn't get the fish at a supermarket. We got it here
from a local fisherman who sold us freshly caught salmon for the bargain price of $3 a pound. In all, I think we got 11 fish. Here I am inspecting the fish in the back of his boat.
Since there was a lot of fish, he just gutted them and left all the fun work of breaking them down to us. That took me a while, but it was fun to do.
Since he didn't just give us fillets, and, instead gave us pretty much the whole fish, I got to keep the best part, the salmon collars, which I roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper. I put the rest of the fish in a marinade of olive oil, brown sugar, parsley, mustard, and lemon juice and then cooked it on cedar planks. To get all of the fish done, we had three large grills going at the same time.

No comments: