Sunday, October 5, 2008

Breaking in the new pasta maker

One of the great things about the KitchenAid stand mixer is that, in addition to allowing for hands-free mixing, there are all sorts of cool attachments that you could add on to it, like a pasta roller/cutter. I've tried making pasta before with just a rolling pin. This is much much much easier. It takes no time at all and tastes really good, so I have a feeling I'll be getting a lot of use out of it.

Here are step-by-step pictures of the proces.

Start by mixing together the flower and eggs. We also added a bunch of pepper for this batch.
Knead the dough for about 10 minutes and let rest for 30 minutes. Break the dough into a few pieces, flatten them, and feed them through the rollers, making the sheet progressively thinner.
Once you get to the desired thickness, cut the pasta.

Boil and finish cooking for another minute or two with the sauce.
Serve in a warmed bowl. I dressed this pasta with some lamb ragu that had been sitting in the freezer for a while. It's the same recipe that I made here, I just used lamb instead of pork....the lamb turned out a bit stringy, so I think I'll stick with pork next time I make this.

No comments: