Saturday, July 18, 2009

Tomato and mozzerella "sandwiches"

I made this as a first course for dinner the other night. It's more or less an insalata caprese, but with a little twist, given the ingredients I had on hand. The main components of the dish were slices of fresh mozzerella sandwiched between slices of red and yellow heirloom tomatos. Instead of seasoning the tomatos with kosher salt, I used some alder smoked sea salt to give the tomatos a hint of smokiness. To further up the savory element of the dish, I dressed the tomatos and mozzerella with some chive oil (using chives from the back porch garden) that was spiked with some anchovies. The result was a dressing that had a slight savory tone, like ceasar salad dressing. I topped it up with some nice aged balsamic vinegar from Modena.

No comments: